The Dubrovnik city walls are a set of fortifications that surround the old part of the city of Dubrovnik.
They were built from the 13th to the 17th century for defense purposes. They are 1940 m long, up to 25 m high, 4–6 m thick towards the land, and 1.5–3 m towards the sea. They are protected by towers on the four sides of the world.
When the walling began in the 13th century, the area of the old town was already defined and could not be expanded any further. Within the city walls, during the Dubrovnik Republic, around 2,000 inhabitants lived at the time of the creation of the Statute in 1272, and the highest number was in the 15th century, around 6,000 people. In the 14th century, 15 square towers were built. With the advent of gunpowder, ramparts were reinforced to protect against artillery attacks. Due to the danger from the Venetians, all unnecessary openings on the walls towards the harbor were closed. The city walls got their present appearance in the 15th and 16th centuries. Wars affected new construction. When Constantinople fell in 1453, Minceta tower was built. Because of the Turkish-Venetian wars, the towers of St. Ivan, Revelin and the bastion of St. Margaret. Due to the danger of war, the walls were built at high speed.
Good to know
The main entrance to the city walls is situated in Placa by the Inner Pile Gate, between the western section of the city wall and St. Saviours Church. From here a flight of stairs in the west leads to Minčeta Fort.
For prices and working time please check